What is the MNA®?
The MNA® is a validated nutrition screening and assessment tool that can identify geriatric patients age 65 and above who are malnourished or at risk of malnutrition. The MNA® was developed nearly 20 years ago and is the most well validated nutrition screening tool for the elderly. Originally compromised of 18 questions, the current MNA® now consists of 6 questions and streamlines the screening process. The current MNA® retains the validity and accuracy of the original MNA® in identifying older adults who are malnourished or at risk of malnutrition. The revised MNA® Short Form makes the link to intervention easier and quicker and is now the preferred from of the MNA® for clinical use.
Why use the MNA®?
The MNA® is a validated tool
- Screening tool validated specifically for the elderly 8
- Highly sensitive, specific 9, and reliable 10, 11, 12, 13
- Most widely used and validated screening method 14
- Recommended by national and international clinical and scientific organizations* 15, 16
The MNA® is quick and easy to use
- Quick and easy to answer 6 short questions
- Takes less than 5 minutes to complete 17, 18
- Easy to administer in wide variety of settings
- Requires no special training
- Requires no blood draws or labs 19
- Widely available in 24 languages
The MNA® is effective
- Targets the frail and elderly and at-risk geriatric population
- Identifies the malnourished so intervention can being immediately
- Identifies at-risk persons before weight loss occurs and serum protein levels fall, and facilitates earlier intervention when response is most successful 20, 21
- Includes criteria specific to issues of ageing- functionality, depression, dementia 22
- Identifies at-risk persons before other validated nutrition screening tools do 330
- Identifies those who may respond to treatment
- Not only identifies people who are at nutrition risk, but allows healthcare professionals to target intervention to specific causes of malnutrition 23 as identified in the MNA®
- Predicts poor outcomes in the elderly